Grandparents, what role do they play in the child's life
The relationship between grandparents and grandchildren is very special and grandparents, in many cases play the role of the primary caregiver to their grandchildren. Even if they are not staying together, grandparents can play a vital role in the upbringing of a child. Grandparents have enormous experience about raising a child and the problems that parents might while bringing up their children; so grandparents can offer great parenting tips and support the parents in many ways.
Oftentimes, a child is exposed to stressful situations like poverty, problems between parents, etc. which can have adverse effects on their mind; in such cases grandparents can help soothe the child and shape their future by providing the necessary support, love and care to the child. Similarly, grandchildren also play an important role in the grandparents' life.
There are many ways in which grandparents can have positive influence in a child's life. Here are some ways in which grandparents influence the child's life:
- For grandchildren, grandparents are friends who believe in them and help them believe in themselves.
- Grandparents become the role model and thus they impart important values like goodness, kindness, hope and trust.
- Most of the parents are busy with their work and are unable to give enough time to their children. In such cases, grandparents can give unconditional love to the grandchildren and help them lead a normal life. Grandparents also take care of children while their parents are away and this includes taking them to nursery school, feeding them, taking to the park, etc.
- Grandparents can also create a fantasy world for their grandchildren where they feel safe and secure. This not only helps become more confident but also helps them enjoy their childhood.
So, by every means you, as a parent must ensure your children bond well with their grandparents. No doubt parents are the primary source of support for the child, but grandparents can fill up the gaps whenever necessary.
Tips to help your child bond with their grandparents
Whether the child lives with the grandparents or not, it is important to establish a strong bonding between the two, so here are some useful tips how parents can help their children establish a boning with their grandparents:
- Allow your children to spend enough time with your parents and your spouse's parents. If you have to go out somewhere then instead of leaving your child at a crèche, leave them with their grandparents.
- If you live away from your parents then make sure you take your children to visit their grandparents at least once in a week. Grandparents are very knowledgeable and can teach important life lessons to your child.
- If your child attends a nursery school and your parents are in good health, you can ask them to drop them or collect them from the nursery school. They can talk while coming back home and grandparents can even help them solve problems they face at school.
Grandparents play an important role in the family as well as in the life of grandchildren. So, to make sure your child gets enough love and care and grow up as responsible adults, help them establish a strong bond with their grandparents.